Giving to the Durham Arts Council
What does my gift accomplish?
By supporting Durham Arts Council’s Annual Arts Fund, you help serve DAC’s mission of promoting excellence in and access to the creation, experience and active support of the arts for all the people of our community. Together, we Create Community through the Arts. Every dollar you give helps support:
Arts Education And Lifelong Learning For Youth And Adults
- Durham Arts Council’s Artist residency program, (CAPS) teaching core subjects through interactive arts-based classes for more than 20,000 children in our schools. DAC also works year round at Lakeview School reaching at-risk youth.
- Durham Arts Council’s community arts school, offering life-long learning nearly 700 classes for students of all ages and levels of artistic experience, with scholarship support available and special summer, weekend and after-school programming for children.
- Durham Arts Council’s on-site and off-site programs for youth, serving more than 60,000 Durham youth each year.
Local Artists And Arts Groups
- Durham Arts Council directs income to local artists and arts organizations of more than $1,000,000 annually through cash and facility grants, teaching income, art sales, and fees for services.
- Durham Arts Council provides a venue for artists, showcasing the work of more than 1,500 individual artists and more than 60 visual and performing arts organizations each year.
- Durham Arts Council provides affordable performance, rehearsal and office space, alleviating a significant financial burden for small arts organizations.
- Durham Arts Council builds support networks and services, offering professional development information and opportunities for the arts community.
- Durham Arts Council leads community arts advocacy, ensuring that the arts are “at the table” on major community projects, and supports national and statewide arts initiatives.
- Durham Arts Council is a center for the arts, hosting more than 5,000 events and programs, supporting 30 arts organizations that operate from the DAC building (including 9 that live in the building year round), receiving nearly 400,000 visitors each year, and standing as a historic landmark anchor of the downtown arts corridor adjacent to the Carolina Theatre and the Convention Center.
- Durham Arts Council is a welcoming community space, with galleries, theaters, rehearsal spaces, studios and classrooms open to the public 360 days a year, 7 days a week, more than 83 hours a week, day and night. Our facility is used by hundreds of arts groups, community groups, churches, civic groups and corporations.
- Durham Arts Council presents community-wide arts events, which bring all segments of our community together each year to enjoy the arts through CenterFest Arts Festival, Durham Art Walk, Visual Arts Exhibit opening receptions, and the Dinners a l’Art series.
Arts Leadership, Planning, Creative Economy
- Durham Arts Council continues to lead community arts advocacy
- In FY16, DAC and its audiences as a single organization produced nearly $10.5 million in economic impact in Durham
- SmART Initiative – DAC secured one of only 5 arts-based economic development grants from the State of NC – North Carolina Arts Council. The SmART Vision Plan focuses on the North/South Corridor of Blackwell/Corcoran/Foster Streets to create an Arts and Entertainment District
This work is accomplished not only through DAC programs, but also through the many arts organizations we support through our season and facility grants program, including this years grantees:
2017–2018 Durham Arts Council Season Grant Recipients
Please support and enjoy the programs of these Durham treasures!